Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 20:34:40 +1000

Quirk wrote:

[snip to cut to the chase]

> Oracle has you trapped because no one else can compete with them,
> since their source is closed. BUT EVEN STILL, I am not recomending you
> never use Oracle, I am only recomending that abstraction is a good
> idea, particularliy when you do not have source.

[Ditto]

It seems to me that if you are going to abstract because you lack the source code, you are likely not going to be making much use of the proprietary functionality you've just spent an arm and a leg on. Which strikes me as a waste of money.

In other words, if you insist on taking out the abstraction insurance policy, don't use Oracle, because it's just money down the drain for functionality you're never going to use. Yet you say you would not recommend never using Oracle. Stripping out the double negatives, that presumably means you might recommend using Oracle *and* abstraction.

Personally, I think my software assurance comes from Oracle's size and market share (and my support contract), and I don't need potentially crippling abstractions to protect me against their failure at some indeterminate and perhaps never-to-arrive point in the future.

I realise I'm butting in late, but that last post was soooo long, I'm fairly confident not one person in 1000 is going to know what the hell it was saying!

Regards
HJR Received on Wed May 19 2004 - 05:34:40 CDT