Re: How to test Dblink is Up or not

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 19 May 2004 00:48:17 -0700

jalanbk_at_yahoo.com (Brij) wrote in message news:<ca45619e.0405180927.4cee6ec6_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
> I am having Multiple oarcle database server with same schema. sometimes i
> have to access other database server to get some information for that i am
> using dblink.
> Now my problem is if because of some network error or due to link failure if
> i can not connect to database specified by DBlink then it goes into a long
> wait...
> Is there any way to first test DBLINK whether it's Up or not and then
> proceed using Sql stored procedure or Developer 2k.
> Brij

I do not think so. Oracle NET80 is dependent on your network infrastructure, so if there is something that is causing long delays and timeouts then you will experience this also in Oracle. You can minimize other delays for example by selecting v$version_at_dblink which should be quick, but network traffic delays are going to always be there. On the other hand if you know that if data do not show after ten seconds they are not gonna show at all, than you can incorporate a 10sec timeout to shorten your waiting.

--
Dusan Bolek

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email is going to
be burnt as a SPAM.