Re: Minimalist ORACLE Installation

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 22:00:51 -0700

Sarah Tanembaum wrote:

> Hi, I was wondering if anyone know what's is the requirement for installing
> Oracle database for Solaris x86?
>
> I would need all the features except that I just need a very small initial
> database.
>
> Some of my colleaque to look into the opensource database such as MySQL
> and/or PostgreSQL since they are easy to install and require virtually very
> little resources as compare to MS SQL*Server, Sybase, DB2, and especially
> Oracle. Is it true?
>
> The reason is that I have a limited diskspace and memory.
>
> Thanks

http://docs.oracle.com for all installation documentation.

Makes no sense to me. Do they have a smaller footprint? Of course. Do they have far less functionality? Of course? Can they be safely restored from a crash? Not likely.

But I currently run Oracle Enterprise Edition 9.2.0.4 and 10g on a 500 MHz Pentium III with 512MB RAM and have no problem opening and using JDeveloper, or Oracle Forms 6i or 9i or Oracle Reports 6i or 9i and ERwin or SQL Navigator all at the same time. I have 11.25GB of disk and also have on the machine W2K, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Front Page, DreamWeaver, Netscape, WinEdit, SideKick, WSFTP, and a few dozen other utilities including a copy of the old XTreePro.

Does your machine have less resources than this?

And, BTW, performance is more than adequate except when loading JDeveloper which is a bit slow.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu