Re: HELP:IMP-00058 & ORA-01033

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 01:50:16 GMT

LC wrote:

> ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progressUsername:

How familiar with Oracle operations are you? Do you realize the database-instance can be started (initialized) and stopped (shut down)?

(Not rhetorical - I really do not know your experience level!)

If you are not familiar with these basic operations, I strongly advise you invest some time in the Concepts manual. You will be encountering a lot more little 'gotchas' that you need to have learned.

If you are familiar with these operations, I suggest you want to read the entire error message stream, and turn to the Error manual for possible causes and recommended actions.

Both manuals are available at http://docs.oracle.com - if 8i or 9i, 'View Library'

In this case, the database instance was in the act of initializing or shutting down and that had not completed. It is possible that the processes were busy or had been killed.

HTH
/Hans Received on Tue May 18 2004 - 20:50:16 CDT