Re: Oracle GUI admin tool?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 22:47:53 GMT

David E. Grove wrote:

> I will be the DBA, and have just started down
> the path of learning the Oracle world

Welcome aboard. This train will take you to an alternate universe!

The biggest challenge for a DBA coming from other RDBMSs is understanding that Oracle doesn't work the same and that the development and DBA techniques are truly different for a very good reason.

Step 1: learn the vocabulary of our world.

In many cases a familiar word has an unfamiliar meaning or has implications that you need to consider. Assuming you are going Oracle9i or Oracle10g, two books to read:

Oracle Essentials (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oressentials3) and

Oracle9i Database Concepts (http://docs.oracle.com > "Oracle9i Database Release 2 (9.2)" > "View Library" > "List of Books" > "Concepts"

Step 2: put on some thick skin.

Some of the best resources are on this list and other lists identified at http://orafaq.com ... but we ain't necessarily the politest bunch around.

/Hans Received on Tue May 18 2004 - 17:47:53 CDT