Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 May 2004 11:39:44 -0700

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net> wrote in message news:<5lSpc.62944$xw3.3682312_at_attbi_s04>...

> But clearly the company attitudes are very different with regards to
> stability, security, and performance. I agree that one should use the right
> tool for the right job. However, one should also look at all the costs one
> is going to occur in using the tool. (unexpected downtime, loss of data,
> performance etc.) If the trade offs are okay, go for it; just don't be
> niave they don't exist.

This is the real problem. Most places that use Windows don't know how and won't pay someone else to properly figure the trade-offs.

> > The problem in my experience is not so much the OS as the operators.
> You can't fix something broken by design. How many Security certifications
> does SQL Server or Windows 2000 have? (none)

No, the purveyors of the OS made the decision to put ease of use over security in the face of overwhelming evidence of what most operators will do.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Buy a lotto ticket lately?