Re: safe to delete 'old' archive logs?

From: G Dahler <yellow-shark_at_spamex.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 10:01:15 -0400

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> a écrit dans le message de news:40a96d09$0$3032$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

> But getting back to the thread. My point was that the group for the OPs
> archives, which you seemed to dislike on the grounds that they were
> 'oinstall', were actually correct, surely? Depending on what groups he
> specified at install time, of course.
>
> That therefore suggesting he change their ownership is a bit of a
> blunderbuss technique. Possibly.

I think that once the database is running, files created by the oracle software are supposed to be owned by "oracle" account and the dba group.

I still wonder why oracle decided to further complicate installation by adding that confusing "oinstall" thing. I may be wrong, but I still use only ONE uid/gid and that's oracle:dba. Maybe they invented that concept only to please the sysadmins so that they could install oracle themselves (and most of the time in an horrible manner) instead of working WITH their DBA. Otherwise, I had all sorts of problems with the universal installer trying to update it's inventory when adding products on a machine and using a different uid as the software owner for another product in another oracle home. Some files we not group writable (they were supposed to be, it was an OUI bug) and I ended up having to reinstall ALL the software.

I now stick to a single group.

I think oracle has corrected the OUI since then. Received on Tue May 18 2004 - 09:01:15 CDT