Re: safe to delete 'old' archive logs?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 21:32:36 +1000

Tom wrote:

>>1. oinstall is for installing software. reset the default group of the
>>oracle account to dba so that such files are created under the
>>ownership of the dba group. change the ownership of the existing
>>files.

> This seems to be an ongoing discussion so i'll leave it - I did read the doco though and thats how i interpreted it

That's a bit ambiguous! But whatever.

>>2. you have to explicitly instruct rman to remove the aged files.

> I do - thats why i stated i issue the 'delete obsolete' however these files are left behind, i expect the first 6 to be there as
> these are within my retention window but not the rest

If delete obsolete leaves them behind, then the repository is unaware of them for some reason. (Presumably a report fails to list them too?).

The original discussion arose about ownership arose, I believe, from someone's suspicion that RMAN was trying to delete them but failing to for permissions reasons. I would have expected an error message if that was the case, however, not for the delete to fail silently.

So I am assuming RMAN is totally oblivious to the existence of these files. In which case, rm them. But the more interesting question then becomes *why* RMAN is oblivious to them.

What happened around February 26th and again around March 18th/19th?

Regards
HJR Received on Tue May 18 2004 - 06:32:36 CDT