Re: safe to delete 'old' archive logs?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:59:00 +1000

Paul Drake wrote:

> Howard,
>
> My point was to have ownership of binaries separated from ownership of
> database files. Binaries only need to be updated/overwritten during an
> install, upgrade or patchset. Separate accounts and separate groups
> would be better than one account and 2 groups.

I can see the logic, but it's not in the doco is it? (Or is it??). In other words, this would be a non-standard approach as far as Oracle or Oracle Support would be concerned. (That again is a question, actually).

> This is not the least bit specific to *nix. Some of our systems (in
> win32) have been configured where cloning of a production database to
> a testing environment is common, separate accounts and groups are used
> that have ownership of specific database's files, so that the testing
> database's account can access (read) hot backup sets and archived redo
> logs used for cloning, but cannot access live files from the source
> database. it does add some complexity to properly configure filesystem
> permissions but it prevents errors such as where a user is logged into
> the wrong database, and issues a shutdown command, especially when the
> same server houses both prod and test. Lets just say that I only got
> clearance to put in such a configuration after production was shutdown
> by accident (by others).
>
> Ideally such databases would reside on separate servers, but that is
> not always economically or politically feasible.
>
> But if this is just a database on a laptop, its overkill.
>
> Paul

It sounds like a good idea, for sure. My only concern is: is it supported? I'd be interested to hear what others think on it, though.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon May 17 2004 - 21:59:00 CDT