Re: Help with hot backups

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 21:45:58 +0200

On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:46:53 -0400, "Chuck Lucas" <chuck.lucas_at_mspbNOSPAM.gov> wrote:

>I've been charged with taking hot backups of our database. It's Oracle
>8.1.7 on Solaris 8 (sparc).
>
>I've come up with a RMAN script, but I'm not sure where to tell Oracle to
>"archive log current". Below is the current script.
>
>run {
> allocate channel tape1 type 'sbt_tape';
> backup
> format '%d_%u_%s_%p_%t'
> (database);
> sql 'alter system archive log current';
> backup
> format '%d_%u_%s_%p_%t'
> (archivelog all delete input);
> release channel tape1;
> }
>
>After reading the documentation, it stated placing the "archive log current"
>after the database backup, to ensure the "backup information" is included in
>the redo (archive) logs. But, I'm thinking placing it there, won't give
>enough time for the archive process to archive the log before RMAN actually
>starts working on the archive logs. I thought about moving the "archive log
>current" statement to BEFORE the database backup (which should give it
>enough time to archive), but then I'm afraid I won't get everything in the
>current redo log. Or maybe I should put the statement in BOTH places, to
>make sure I get everything?
>
>Really appreciate any assistance anyone could offer on this.
>
>Much thanx,
>Chuck

You don't have multiple channels allocated so your backup operations will be executed serially and synchronously. So actually you won't have 'alter system archivelog' and backup in parallel. This makes a alter system archivelog before the database backup redundant.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA