Re: Dense and Sparse Index

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 21:59:57 +1000

ramesh wrote:

> Hi All,
> I would like to know when does dense index and
> sparse index get built up in oracle. Are there any
> expilict keywords for these index constructions?
> I have read that dense index is faster with integer columns
> and sparse index for varchar2 columns. Please clarify me.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ramesh

Are these terms you've used in another database product? They are not terms I'm familiar with in an Oracle context, except in a purely theoretical sense. There's certainly no explicit keywords to use to control the matter. Unless it happens to be a 10g new feature I'm unaware of (joking: it's not).

Oracle has a number of create index commands.

create index....
create unique index.....
create index....compress
create index....reverse
create bitmap index...
create bitmap join index....

And probably some others I could think of it I frowned long enough.

"Dense" is not an option. I'm just wondering whether Oracle's compressed indexes is what you're talking about, so knowing where you've come across these terms before would be helpful.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon May 17 2004 - 06:59:57 CDT