Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Greg D. Moore \(Strider\) <mooregr_deleteth1s_at_greenms.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 03:10:31 GMT

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1084761131.172458_at_yasure...

> Sorry but what you've written is, to use Howard's word, rubbish.
>
> When I discovered a flaw in Microsoft's ODBC 3.0 implementation
> Microsoft immediately wrote a custom patch for the Boeing company.
> And no one was asked to sign any confidentiality agreement. In fact
> that patch was released simultaneously by Microsoft on their web site.

That's nice. Now please point out wher I said it was Microsoft that was requiring my confidentiality?

I do have agreements with my employer as to what I can and can't talk about.

And to be honest, this patch was long enough ago (SQL 7.0 or SQL 6.5) that I'm not about to go look up if my company would be ok me discussing it.

Now, on the other hand, to be fair, in one of their "patches" (SQL 7.0 SP3) broke functionality for many Full Text Index users. And their basic answer to customers was "screw you."

So, it's not always sunshine and roses.

But my point stands, and you've confirmed it for me, that MS has and does release patches per customer problems.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on who was requiring my confidentiality. I didn't mean to imply it was MS.