Re: running a process (oracle db) with modified system time

From: Igor Laletin <ilaletin_at_usa.net>
Date: 16 May 2004 17:36:11 -0700

Jarek 'bacza' Baczynski <jarek_at_nie.lubie.spamu.invalid> wrote in message news:<slrn.pl.cadde9.3vvpmv9.jarek_at_Jarek.Baczynski>...
> hello there,
>
> I'm wondering if there is a way to run a process on solaris in such
> a way that it receives the system time modified with a given amount
> of secs/mins/hours/...
>
> I don't want to change the time on the server, I just want to run
> a specific process in an environment that "emulates" a different time.

The easiest way is to set TZ env variable before you start up the instance and the listener. You can even have different times in different sessions if you start several listeners with different TZ's and connect via Net.

> is it possible to write some piece of code that catches some syscalls
> and returns modified time? if it is, how can I do that?
> any hints/links/code examples ;) will be greatly appreciated.

You need it only if you want to change time on a fly. Such tools exist and were very popular during Y2K testing. The one I used was 'Time Machine', worked all right as far as I remember. There are limititions of course, e.g. possible to overload shared library but not static one.

Cheers,
Igor