Re: Some more questions on Oracle9i RAC

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 22:40:35 GMT

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> But I still say: check with Oracle before planning anything on the basis
> of licensing advice received here.

Howard is right on this.

When it comes to licensing and pricing, unless you get an authority speaking officially on behalf of Oracle, anything stated in any newsgroup or other public forum is not binding on Oracle. Most of us responding here are not [legally] authorized to represent Oracle, even if we were Oracle employees (which most, including myself, are not). Trying to make our comments binding would likely just invoke yet another law suit to unravel the mess.

Aside from that, Oracle licensing _methods_ are complex and allow for a lot of flexibility in both terms and price (especially at the end of a fiscal quarter or year). Oracle reps are allowed a lot of freedom to negotiate - they just need a good, solid, business case to present for management approval.

(If you help the rep with the business case, you can generally get better terms/proce ... and at the same time strengthen your own business case for the request of the funds.)

So, a number of contracts with Oracle end up being customized and discussing those is likely not relevant nor legitimate in your situation.

Use the Licensing and Pricing documents as your starting point. And use the http://oraclestore.oracle.com and the MRSP as the basis for your budget exercise ... don't assume a discount when budgetting, unless you've already got that in writing.

But always remember that anything you get from us here must be taken with a grain of salt - final License and Price information MUST be received from Oracle (sales rep or online store) to be honored by Oracle.

/Hans Received on Sun May 16 2004 - 17:40:35 CDT