Re: Oracle 9i PL/SQL Collection Question

From: Aaron Rouse <aaron_rouse_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 May 2004 15:32:30 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1084720697.657013_at_yasure>...
> In kinder gentler form I'll repeat what Sybrand has said. You seem to
> being trying to use Oracle as though it is some other product of which
> you are more familiar. That approach almost always produces code that
> doesn't perform well and/or doesn't scale.
>
> Definitely stop overcomplicating it. That is true in all cases on all
> platforms with all products.
>
> No table required. Just use the variables returned. Or perhaps see if
> you could just put the query that is generating those three values
> into the form of an in-line view within the SQL statement that needs
> them (you might be more familiar with the phrase dervied table).

I think Sybrand might have looked at it a little more, because I stripped out my previous attempts and just tried the route of pulling out percentage per path name instead. In doing this I do get the results I was searching for and it does not run much slower(about 190ms) than the portion that spits out the three values, so I am going to guess this means the query I am using is also "damn inefficient". Though I will also review how I setup the tables, perhaps my "design" of those could be poor and also causing "damn inefficient"

I had considered earlier today trying the inline view you suggest might be an approach. Still probably will try it later this week after I have retreated into these books and try to learn more on the subject to figure out how I can hopefully avoid making some DBA somehow, someway, somewhere suffer from my "programs"

You are correct I am trying to make a solution within the Oracle product but using thought processes that are for a completely different product and one that is not even a database. I'd think people tend to make that mistake, sometimes not even on purpose, when they first attempt to learn something new and the bulk of their experience is with completely unrelated "programming language" Thank you for your kind words, I will RTFM some more and figure out where all I am flawed in my thought process on this. Received on Sun May 16 2004 - 17:32:30 CDT