Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Greg D. Moore \(Strider\) <mooregr_deleteth1s_at_greenms.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 22:25:36 GMT

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1084719755.450820_at_yasure...
> Jim Kennedy wrote:
>
> Thanks Jim because I think you are absolutely correct.

No he isn't.

> Small shops don't
> need a lot of things required by larger shops.

Wrong. SOME small shops don't need a lot of the things required by larger shops. And some do. And some larger shops don't need them.

>My customers tend to be
> in telecommunications, aerospace, government, and many with 7x24x365 web
> sites. Being off-line is something for which they have a dollar figure
> calculated and in some cases that dollar figure is very very large.
> When servers come down, and/or an SLA is not met ... people lose their
> jobs.

    That can be just as true for smaller shop.

    You build your system based on your requirements. If you need 24x7x365, you'll pay what's require, large shop or small.

> If that is not true in a smaller shop, or in another country, on that
> I can not comment.

And yet you just did above.

> But those persons need to at least appreciate the
> nature of their environment and the fact that their decisions is a good
> one within their specific context only. There is no context in which
> having a server that doesn't need to be off-lined is a bad thing.

I'll tell that to my CFO next time I'm budgetting an upgrade. "Sir, we only use this system 9-5 and even then only 2-3 people use it. If it's down, they can work on other stuff w/o any loss in effeciency. But we need to build a clustered HA environment, since there's no context where having a server that doesn't need to be off-lined is a bad thing."

I'll let you know how he takes that.

(btw, I do have a database that basically meets the above requirement and it's doing just fine on Access.)