Re: Oracle 9i PL/SQL Collection Question

From: Aaron Rouse <aaron_rouse_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 May 2004 10:17:56 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<6ivea09m9a65cdn0ml6kks2tjdhc9ehnjo_at_4ax.com>...

> Obviously, you have been exposed to sqlserver and you think you can
> mimic a sqlserver temporary table, by mis-using a collection for that
> purpose.
> In Oracle you don't need temporary tables. If you still think you need
> temporary tables, create a globally temporary table, and select from
> that table.
> Other than that, try to deprogram your bad habits, and learn sql and
> Oracle.
>
> What you are doing now is damn inefficient.
> You are on your way to hell and somehow, someway, somewhere there will
> be a DBA, who is going to suffer from your 'programs'

Thanks for the kind words, actually I got the idea of using the collection in that manner from the Oracle PL/SQL book by O'Reilly. Though admitedly(sp?) I already had in my head that must be a way of doing a list(array) of values and just grabbing the max value from that list so I am sure I just read completely wrong into the descriptions from the book.

This is not something that will be run on any DBA's machine, it is simply me on my own box trying to learn more about these technologies so that maybe in the future when I do something along these lines I will know more of a "sql" approach than to use a outside programming language for solving the goals. Seems like the best way to learn, is to read, to try, and to even fail and hopefully learn from said failures.

I actually had just been considering pulling out the percentage per path, which would simplify things, however if my sql is just that bad I think I will just take a few steps back and try to figure out where all it is bad. So I apologize for asking on this mess. Received on Sun May 16 2004 - 12:17:56 CDT