Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 07:57:28 -0700

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

>> That may be true of 'your' customers. But not one of mine would find
>> that acceptable.

> Daniel. Before you type, why don't you read? And why don't you just stop
> to pause a little and think who comes to this group?

I've thought about it. What conclusion would you like me to reach? I think the people that come here, and please note this is going to two different groups, are interested in multiple opinions ... and in the end make up their own minds based on their situation.

> That's just fine and dandy, and FOR THAT REASON, you wouldn't recommend
> they use Windows. Perfectly understandable, perfectly reasonable. A
> *reasoned* business decision.

I didn't say the words you put in my mouth. There are times when Windows is the appropriate solution. But that said ... one makes that decision based on understanding the reality of the impact it will have on every aspect of the database and its operations.

The thread I was responding two, if you review it, will clearly show that the first posting related to a list that seemed to sum up decision making as based on performance and extras. I pointed out that there were more important considerations such as security, stability, and scalability.

That you have latched onto a single sentence about Windows in which I made reference to its specific issues related to stability is your decision and a segue from the point I was trying to make.

> That is all.

Hopefully ;-)

--
Daniel Morgan