Re: Database Report Generator - beta testers needed

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 20:31:42 +1000

D Rolfe wrote:

> Howard,
>

>> If you don't have a beta account and password, that address is not
>> visible. Care to cut and paste the actual content? Or mail it.
>>
>> Regards
>> HJR

> From the original posting:
>
>> The details are on our website: www.gestalt.com/Scribe (temporary
>> location).
>>
>> User: guest
>> Password: star

> DR

Worse, you *did* cut and paste the content, only I didn't realise it.

Yes, no joins is not just a show-stopper, but absolutely terminal. I never got as far as successfully installing (it is what I would call intrusive, asking for personal details it has no right to ask, and taking a hardware inventory of the machine it's installed on so you can't repeat install on multiple machines -which might be OK for a production system, but is defintiely OTT for a beta).

If it only does single tables, then you might as well use Enterprise Manager, right-click a table and ask to view the table contents. I can't see a single-table-only report generator making any advance on that.

I agree, too, that 3 to 5 days is not sufficient for anyone to be able to code well-tuned calls to an Oracle database (I wonder if bind variables are used, for example).

Regards
HJR Received on Sun May 16 2004 - 05:31:42 CDT