Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 20:04:43 -0700

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> True enough. But not every patch needs to be applied to every server
> (one can get more intelligent about these things that the CYA Microsoft
> advisories suggest).
>
> But even so. It takes me about 48 seconds to shutdown and re-start my
> Windows 2000 Advanced server. I think I can live with 48 seconds of
> downtime a month. I think *most* people could live with that sort of
> downtime a month, actually. The number of people who truly, absolutely,
> must have no compromises 5 9's uptime are actually quite small, if you
> look at the planet as a whole.

That may be true of 'your' customers. But not one of mine would find that acceptable.

Well maybe those with RAC taking down nodes once at a time. But otherwise they expect to be up 7x24x365. It is very hard to explain to your web customers that you are interrupting their book purchase or that the search they wanted to do will have to wait ... or ... we're terribly sorry you can't purchase plane tickets or check your bank balance for awhile.

It just isn't acceptable.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu