Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: rkusenet <rkusenet_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 20:06:09 -0400

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote

> > First you exaggerate that any 16 yrd old can bring down SQLServer
> > and now you exaggerate the need to apply security patch. Did it occur
> > to you that if your database server is safely behind the firewall,
> > the need to apply security patches reduces drastically. Almost all
> > of the security patches is only when your windows is exposed to
> > the outside world.
>
> I didn't exagerate anything ... I asked a question. Please note the
> question mark at the end of the sentence.

This is the not the first time. All ur rants against Windows is well chronicled. didn't you predict that the day is not far off when a virus in T-SQL will float around.

> So you would, in fact, intentionally not apply Microsoft security
> patches to your database servers. That is certainly one choice.
> Which is only possible if you never applied a security patch. Once
> again ... a choice.

Applying a patch becomes moot if it does not even apply to you. If it does become critical, I assure you necessity overrides anything.

> I don't criticize it "just" because it only runs on Windows. That is
> just one argument among many. We could, for example, look at the
> inability to cluster servers without federating data and many other
> things. But that wasn't the point of the post to which I responded
> and I'm not interested in starting another meaningless flame war.

I guess teaching in Univ. has made you a bit of theoretician. Go out and check the real world. There are many users who are perfectly happy with windows and it serves them very well. Not necessary piss ant customers. Some real big ones. I work in one such industry where SS is firmly enterenched. Received on Sat May 15 2004 - 19:06:09 CDT