Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: rkusenet <rkusenet_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 13:19:49 -0400

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:-

> And would you then ignore all of the security patches?
> If you don't ... you still need to at least once a month, likely more
> often, down your production database to apply them and reboot the
> server.

First you exaggerate that any 16 yrd old can bring down SQLServer and now you exaggerate the need to apply security patch. Did it occur to you that if your database server is safely behind the firewall, the need to apply security patches reduces drastically. Almost all of the security patches is only when your windows is exposed to the outside world.

Our customers who run our application on SQL Server *always* use it behind the firewall and one of them has SQL Server up and running for more than 6 months. No problem for them.

>For what possible benefit? I'm still looking for one thing Windows
>can do that, for example, Linux can't do ... except perhaps steal
>cycles from the CPU.

This is a different issue. If you want to argue on this, I will not dispute with you. I also prefer unix over Win, but some of your criticism against SQLServer (just because it runs on Win only) is puerile and just shows your insecurity.

Just curious: Have you ever worked with SQLServer. Received on Sat May 15 2004 - 12:19:49 CDT