Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 08:47:15 -0700

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

>> And, to be quite blunt, if the only operating system it will run on
>> is Windows that becomes a limitation affecting all of the above. Any
>> time you database server is at risk from every 16 year old on the
>> planet. It can't really be called secure or stable.

> Oh, I dunno. Stick it behind a firewall with some AV software and at
> least keep it (OS and AV) minimally up to date, and it will do quite
> reasonable service, and the script kiddies can be largely forgotten about.
>
> Regards
> HJR
And would you then ignore all of the security patches?

If you don't ... you still need to at least once a month, likely more often, down your production database to apply them and reboot the server.

For what possible benefit? I'm still looking for one thing Windows can do that, for example, Linux can't do ... except perhaps steal cycles from the CPU.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu