Re: Oracle 9i RAC JDBC listener connection load balancing

From: Joe Weinstein <joeNOSPAM_at_bea.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 22:20:27 -0700

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On 13 May 2004 13:28:57 -0700, mexilent_at_hushmail.com (robert lojek)
> wrote:
>

>>We're trying to load balance thin-client JDBC connections to oracle 9i
>>RAC nodes. The main objective is actually redundancy, i.e., if there's
>>an abnormal termination of a connection due to RAC node failure and
>>the load balancer detects this (within x seconds), send the retried
>>connection to a different RAC node.
>>
>>Does anyone have experience with hardware loadbalancers tackling this
>>kind of scenario, or know of a good resource to investigate this
>>further? We're going to be doing some experimenting with Cisco
>>LocalDirectors, and I'll report whatever we find, but I wanted to know
>>if anyone else has experience dealing with this kind of issue & how
>>you addressed it.
>>
>>Best,
>>
>>Robert Lojek
>

> Oracle Net comes with Transparent Application Failover and Load
> balancing, suitable for RAC. Exactly what you need!
> Please read those manuals prior to resorting to your own 'solution'
> (which won't be supported by Oracle)

Beware that TAF doesn't really support JDBC... In-progress XA transactions do not failover, certain queries may fail, and package state does not fail over so prepared statements may become defunct...

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showNOT?p_id=97926.1&p_showHeader=1&p_showHelp=1#TAFSEL