Re: Synchronous writes & TEMP

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 23:21:35 +0200

VC wrote:

> Frank,
>
> Asynchronous IO is irrelevant to my question.
> The question is why Oracle uses synchronous OS write calls when data
> integrity is _not_ at stake (or is it) ?
>
> Regards.
>
> VC
>
> "Frank van Bortel" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message
>

>>VC wrote:
>>

>>I'd say Karsten had a plausible explanation: the process
>>that needs temp to be written has nothing better to do
>>than wait - so why bother with an extra communications
>>process and async writes when there's a synchronous write,
>>that will only return when done?
>>
>>Ready to be beaten up, technically speaking ;)
>>--
>>
>>Regards,
>>Frank van Bortel

Yeah - you've been pounding on that enough by now. Start reading the thread.

Why should it not, when it *has to wait*? I'll repeat that: when it (the process) has to wait (for the writing to complete).

Looks more efficient to use sync than
async + comm mechanism to me.

Thus Karsten's explanation looks plausible.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel