What's a server handle or context(ORA-24327)?

From: Rob <robw_at_physics.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 15:49:39 -0400

ORA-24327 need explicit attach before authenticating a user

Cause: A server context must be initialized before creating a session.

Action: Create and initialize a server handle.

What is a server context and server handle?

I tried metalink and nobody at Oracle wants to answer my question. I got this error using a PHP connection to Oracle 9i on Linux 9. We rebooted and I have not seen it since but It made me curious to know what these terms definitions were if I see it again.
All the online help returns no useful answers either.

This query is more along the lines of definition rather than what the error means exactly. Received on Fri May 14 2004 - 14:49:39 CDT