Re: ora12541: tns no listener

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 12:01:34 -0500

On Fri, 14 May 2004 11:16:48 -0400, " - Dan -" <dan_at_domain.com> wrote:

>I just installed oracle 10g db and client tools on my machine. I then try
>to connect to a database and I get the error ORA-12541: TNS: No listener.
>
>What does that mean and how do i fix it? I am new and inexperienced, sorry.

When the client requests a connection to a database, sqlnet actually puts that request to a listener process. The listener then takes care of setting up a process to connect the client to the database. This error means the listener is not running.

What OS is the db on? If Windows, go to the services panel and look for a service with a name something like OracleListener (or some variation on that). You can start the listener by either starting that service from the control panel, or from a dos prompt issuing the command 'lsnrctl start'. If on *nix, do a 'ps -ef | grep ora' and see if you have a listener process. Again, it can be started with 'lsnrctl start'

And if you go to tahiti.oracle.com and sign up for a free OTN account, you'll have searchable, online access to the entire set of Oracle docs, including an error code lookup facility. At that point you could do a lookup of 'ORA-12541' . . . Received on Fri May 14 2004 - 12:01:34 CDT