Re: DBs on different servers require different sqlnet.ora files

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:47:52 -0500

Comments embedded . . .

On 14 May 2004 07:22:27 -0700, dgmoore_at_erols.com (Dave) wrote:

>Environment:
>
>WinNT 4.0 Build 1381 SP6, Revised SP 6a on Novell
>Oracle 9i Rel 1 (9.0.1.1.1) for Windows
>
>Problem:
>
>I have several different apps that connect via ODBC to databases on
>different servers. I have a situation in which a db on one of the
>servers requires the line NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = blah in sqlnet.ora,
>but a db on a different server chokes if that line is present.
The DB doesn't give one whit about sqlnet.ora files. SQLNET/NET8 does. Define 'server chokes'

>I have tried deleting sqlnet.ora: one of the dbs works fine without
>it, but the other one does not.

Again, the db's don't care. SQLNET.ORA is for Oracle networking, not databases.

>I could have the respective apps generate the appropriate sqlnet.ora
>file upon launching, but this might result in portability problems
>when the app is deployed to other workstations.
>
>Is there a sqlnet.ora that can satisfy both of these requirements
>simultaneously?

What are the requirements? All you've said is that the 'database chokes' which is uninformative and also a red herring. If you're finding different behaviors with different sqlnet.ora files, you must be having some sort of connection problem. None of us have a working crystal ball. Error msgs might be helpful, along with contents of the relevent sqlnet.ora, (both client and db side), tnsnames.ora (client side) and listener.ora (server side), and SQLNET.LOG (client side). Otherwise set the undocumented init parm _db_chokes=FALSE.