Re: Oracle export/import question

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 12:30:41 +0200

On 14 May 2004 03:10:55 -0700, johnleslie_at_madasafish.com (John Leslie) wrote:

>A silly question I know but I am still not clear on this....what is
>the difference between doing a FULL export and just one for a user.
>Does FULL include all users...what about sys/system etc?.
>
>I am wary of doing a full export/import because I am unclear what it
>does. Under what circumstances is a FULL export/import useful?

As SYS contains the data dictionary and the data dictionary is maintained automatically it is NEVER exported. SYSTEM will be included in a full export. An export in user mode won't contain the CREATE USER statement. This implies the user has to exist prior to importing an user mode import.
A full export will contain the create user statement, the statement will be executed importing a single user.

FULL exports are the preferred mode of export. You can always isolate a single user, and especially when your database has multiple interdependent schema's you should export everything. OK, I am quite aware most developers exposed to sqlserver create one instance per schema. They shouldn't do so.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA