Re: cannot find gsdctl, please help

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 19:13:39 +1000

victors wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've installed Oracle Database 9iR2 EE with the Oracle Cluster Manager
> (on vmware GSX server 3.0) and patched them to 9.2.0.5, but I'm unable
> to find gsdctl, srvctl, etc., as specified by the step-by-step RAC
> instalation documentation. Is there something else I should install?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I don't know Vmware GSX too well, but it still needs an O/S doesn't it? In which case, which one have you got?

Those executables are in ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin.

But they need to be installed there. Just installing the cluster management software doesn't mean they have been. The cluster management layer just provides the messaging conduit that instances take advantage of... but you need the RAC software components to actually make that happen.

If, for example, you install Oracle and then install the OCM, the RAC components won't have been installed (because the option to install them doesn't even arise until the OCM is installed and working).

So if that's what you've done, you have to re-invoke the Universal Installer and add the RAC components into the existing Oracle install.

You might want to invoke the Universal Installer anyway and check what components have been installed. The RAC components, if they're actually there, should be listed (from memory) under "Oracle 9i Real Application Cluster" in the list of components.

Other than that, if the components have been installed I can only think your PATH variable is up the swannee.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu May 13 2004 - 04:13:39 CDT