Re: Database Report Generator - beta testers needed

From: D Rolfe <dwrolfeFRUITBAT_at_orindasoft.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 09:18:48 +0100

Alex,

I represent a software company which like yours is trying to get people interested in a product. Unlike Gestalt we have made a point of not annoying people by abusing USENET. Our product announcements are made to comp.databases.oracle.marketplace. Regardless of what any charter says or what rights you have on paper you should not be making postings like this to comp.databases.oracle.server.

Why?

Because you're pissing people off. My guess is that for every person you attract you antagonize 10 more with your postings. Not only that, you don't appear to realize that everything you say on USENET ends up in google groups. For example all the postings you made as 'alex AT gestalt.com' are available here:

http://groups.google.ie/groups?hl=en&lr=&q=author%3Aalex%40gestalt.com&btnG=Search

There's also this gem:

http://groups.google.ie/groups?q=Molochnikov&hl=en&lr=&selm=KEr4c.162525%24A12.49680%40edtnps84&rnum=2

There are three important lessons for you here:

  1. Don't ask questions which might embarrass your company using a company email address. Why would I buy an Oracle report generator written by someone whose internet postings reveal that he has one year's Oracle experience?
  2. Don't make commercial postings in places where the De Facto community standards prohibit them. People don't buy software from SPAM merchants. SPAM in the eye of the beholder, not the poster.
  3. Don't get into slanging matches. It makes you look bad.

Also: Don't bother replying to me about this - I've had enough of you and your report generator. In future anything coming out of gestalt.com will be deleted on sight by my newsreader.

David Rolfe
Orinda Software
Dublin, Ireland

Orinda Software make OrindaBuild, Which writes Java to Run PL/SQL Procs. www.orindasoft.com Received on Thu May 13 2004 - 03:18:48 CDT