Re: Re-use of Leaf Nodes

From: <ctcgag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 May 2004 22:33:11 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:

> I think there's a relationship there, don't you? I wonder what happens
> when you build the index (initially AND at the end) with PCTFREE of,
> say, 30%? (Yikes. I can't ask questions like that and not find out, so
> OK, I did the test and we get an end-of-test index inflation of ...[wait
> for it].... 30% (a 480 block index became a 690 block one).
>
> I still can't see why the index balloons by PCTFREE with a rebuild when
> the loading of records into the index should have been respecting
> PCTFREE in the first place anyway (except that the figures suggest it
> wasn't) .... My head hurts.

But PCTFREE is only used during rebuild (or initial build) of the index. (And maybe append?) The index would not be respecting PCTFREE in the first place, because "The first place" was a bunch of ordinary inserts; at least if I am following the thread properly. Afterall, what are you saving that space for? For using it during inserts!

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB