Re: Hot Backup and Recovery - When to switch log files.

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 14:53:53 GMT

willy_gates wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I am testing my hot backups. (Oracle 9i)

For that alone you are to be highly commended!

> The test I am having trouble with is simulating our office burning down
> losing the live server and all mutiplex points.
>
> This leaves me with a tape containing
>
> * backup (binary and scripted) control files from the night before the fire,
> * archived redo up to the night before the fire,
> * backup init files from the night before the fire,
> * All data files from the night before the fire.
>
> But when I try to:
>
> SQL> Recover database using backup controlfile until cancel
>
> I am prompted for archive logs 1_338 which I have as part of the backup and
> 1_339 which has not yet been created. I can substitute the correct redo log
> (tested but not possible as the office has burnt down and I do not have a
> redo backup) or I suppose I could cancel at this point (not tested).

Yes, you should cancel at this point. If you are using a backup controlfile you are doing incomplete recovery. Your current online redo logs and controlfile were lost in the fire.

[...]
> Perhaps the behaviour is correct and I should be asked for the archived logs
> during the recovery and just cancel when I run out but I feel that because I
> have binary backed up my control file that it should know which archive logs
> to ask for and when to stop.
>
> Is it continuing to ask because I may have more redo data from time between
> the backup and the fire ...

Yes, with a backup controlfile there is no way to know how many additional archived redo logs might be available.

> Thanks for the help.
>
> David

--Mark Bole Received on Wed May 12 2004 - 09:53:53 CDT