Re: 10g vs. MS SQL Server

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 17:46:17 +1000

hrishy wrote:

> Hi Howard
>
> well i always manage to read everything posted by you..Just wunderin
> where did you pick up this gift for writing technical stuff with such
> great style..you always make a interesting read..If i were larry i
> would have made you write the whole oracle documentation :-)
>
> regards
> Hrishy

Shucks. Now I'm embarassed!

I blame my classical education (all that Herodotus and Virgil) and reading too many Bill Bryson books (if you haven't read any of them, do. Sheer brilliance. Notes from a Small Island is hilarious).

It is true too that in the early 1990's, I did indeed write lots (and lots and lots!) of technical documentation for a software product. The company's previous practice had been to let the developers do the documentation, despite none of it ever making the slightest sense to anyone but the developers. Maybe I just absorbed a bit of a skill in being able to take developer-speak and turn it into something approximating comprehensible English for the fare-paying customers.

I would have liked to have a go at the Oracle documentation. But I wouldn't have got very far. I got told off by Oracle once for opening my 9i new features stuff with the line 'server manager is dead'. The corporation and poetic licence don't quite go together, I think.

:-o
HJR Received on Wed May 12 2004 - 02:46:17 CDT