Re: Oracle Software Install on Many Servers (SAP R/3 Instances)

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 03:21:40 GMT

Charles wrote:

> I manage an SAP R/3 landscape with 30 large Oracle instances that run
> with almost no scheduled downtime.
>
> Each SAP R/3 Oracle instance runs its own local install of the
> software, even if multiple instances run on the same physical server.
> This is the SAP method, what can I say.
>
> Each Oracle instance has its own unique Unix logon (ora<sid>)that
> "owns" the installed software.
>

> I am looking for a workable alternative to separately installing and
> maintaining 30 Oracle instances.

[...]
> Any contact from other SAP DBAs would also be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Charles

Are you saying that you have a distinct ORACLE_HOME for every instance?   That makes things tough.

Best bet might be to use the "silent install" option.

If you can support a single ORACLE_HOME setting across servers, then the Unix "rsync" tool can be used, but it requires a lot of care to make sure you are including and excluding just the common files, not server-specific and instance-specific files such as logs, etc.

I don't have SAP experience, so take it for what it's worth.

--Mark Bole Received on Tue May 11 2004 - 22:21:40 CDT