Re: Which Linux OS

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 22:28:10 GMT

Gerald S. wrote:

> We would like to do some initial investigation of Oracle on Linux?
>
> Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that I can use for my eval,
> or must I purchase the Redhat Enterprise AS?
>
> Thanx,

RedHat 9 (as of today, officially end-of-life) quite nicely supports Oracle9i. In fact, Howard has a wonderful paper describing the install and the gotchas at http://www.dizwell.com

SuSE 8.2 does as well. At http://www.suse.com, under the Commercial, Software Certifications, they have an extensive set of documents describing the install process.

After learning on any "free" distro, if you want something that Oracle will officially support, you need to go RedHat AS (or the MUCH less expensive ES) or UnitedLinux 1.0 with SP3 such as SuSE Enterprise 8 (or the MUCH less expensive SuSE Standard 8).

(My personal preference is SuSE Std 8 and other SuSE products although I have had quite satisfactory installations using RedHat.)

Regardless of OS (even Windows) I recommend looking at Howard's document as he provides additional hints and relevant descriptions and screen shots.

HTH
/Hans Received on Tue May 11 2004 - 17:28:10 CDT