Re: Temp Tablespace

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 07:17:45 +1000

rc wrote:
> Hi
>
> We have oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 8
>
> My question is regarding the temp tablespace? Our temp table space is
> set to 3 GB, and it is about 90 % full at the moment.

Then your temporary tablespace is too big.

Really.

Temporary segments are not dropped except at an instance bounce, so the usage on the tablespace does go ever upwards to hopefully as near as 100% as possible. Then as different users run different sort operations, they *reuse* the temporary segments which already exist. Therefore the utilisation of near-100% is not a problem.

So it's doing what it's designed to do, and you shouldn't try to intervene and manage it yourself.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue May 11 2004 - 16:17:45 CDT