Re: Transportable Tablespace Backup Process.

From: Xuequn Xu <xux_at_informa.bio.caltech.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 20:28:00 +0000 (UTC)

This is actually an interesting and legitimate question. However, the answer is no, you cannot just import/plug-in only one of the exported transportable tablespaces (even if each tablespace is self contained). The reason is that upon imp, if you don't specify TABLESPACES option, the list of tablespaces will be taken from export dmp file; if you do specify it, what you specify will be checked against the tablespaces in the export dump file. So the net result: there is really on way to ommit any tablespaces in the exported tablespaces. What about the DATAFILES option? It also has to match whatever datafiles are required for the listed/exported tablespaces. A simple test confirmed the above.

To achieve what you are trying to do, you could simply generate a new export dmp file that contains the desired tablespace only.

Louis Frolio (froliol_at_yahoo.com) wrote:
: Greeting All, here is my question.

: If I do a TTS backup of say 10 tablespaces and they are all self
: contained can I plug only of them into another database or do I have
: to plug them all in? When I do the export I list out the tablespaces
: I want to transport:

: exp userid=\"sys/pass as sysdba\" file=/tmp/tts_backup.dmp
: transport_tablespace=y tablespaces=pat_claim, lou_claim
: statistics=none

: If I want to import both the tablespaces the import statement would
: look like:

: imp \"sys/pass as sysdba\" file=/tmp/tts_backup.dmp
: transport_tablespace=Y
: datafiles=/oracle/oradata/tprod/PAT_claim01.dbf,
: /oracle/oradata/lou_claim.dbf statistics = none

: The gist of my question is what if I only wanted to import
: lou_claim.dbf, what would the import statement look like? I tried
: with:

: imp \"sys/pass as sysdba\" file=/tmp/tts_backup.dmp
: transport_tablespace=Y datafiles=/oracle/oradata/lou_claim.dbf
: tablespaces=LOU statistics = none

: and it failed because it tried to import PAT_CLAIM as well and the
: target DB was not prepped with the appropriate SCHEMA information for
: that tablespace.

: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

: L