Re: Problem In oracle8i installation

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 22:26:23 +1000

Saket wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I downloaded Oracle8i from oracle site and tried to install it on
> linux.
>
> did the following as preconfiguration steps: -
>
> created users oinstall and oracle.
>
> created groups oinstall, odba, osdba and osoper.
>
> created four directories for OFA config namely /u01, /u02, /u03, /u04
>
> connected as root and gave the following command xhost +
>
> connected as oracle user and set variables like PATH, DISPLAY,
> ORACLE_BASE, ORACLE_HOME, LD_ASSUME_KERNEL.
>
> after doin all this when we run ./runinstaller it
>
> does not gives an error, but just shows a grey coloured rectengular
> box. and does not opes Oracle Universal Installer.
>
> I can't understand what the problem is.
>
> Plz help me on this. any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Well, I'd leap to the conclusion it was the Pentium 4 bug (which you can search for on Google) except that I don't remember if that bug ever affected the Linux product line (it did on the Windows one, big time).

It could also be your kernel parameters, because you don't mention setting those.

And it could be your distribution, because you don't mention that either.

But is there any particular reason you're installing 8i?

9i is better. 10g is also now out, though a bit on the bleeding edge for some.

And installation instructions for 9i and 10g on Linux can be a lot simpler than the official docs make out, as you can see at www.dizwell.com. Actually, from memory, if you follow those dizwell instructions they will mostly work for 8i too.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue May 11 2004 - 07:26:23 CDT