Re: Index management

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 09:03:15 +0100

"Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message news:91884734.0405101458.5eba0327_at_posting.google.com...
> So do I need to rebuild indexes? (Pretty sure the answer would be
> "no" since there is no key updating and hasn't yet been deletion...
> but there will be, and massive... hopefully, after going to 9 and
> partitioning. But it sure looks bad in Tablespace Map. Of course,
> this whole thread only applies to CBO, right?).

Er no, ISTM that the fact that Oracle's balanced b-tree indexes physically store index data efficiently in the vast majority of cases is also relevant to the RBO. In fact I don't think I have ever heard anyone argue that rebuilding indexes will affect the cost calculations used by the CBO presumably because those folk bright enough to have figured out and published stuff on cost calculations also know how indexes work.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA