The Index Clustering Factor Explained

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 13:52:26 +1000

I wouldn't normally rush to 'press' with an article, but just this once I've made an exception.

The index clustering factor has been so badly mangled in this newsgroup of late, and so appallingly misunderstood by some, and the thread so diluted with posts that had nothing very much to do with the clustering factor, that I've written a short piece explaining precisely what it is and how you calculate it (or rather, how Oracle calculates it), and what use can be made of it.

For anyone who rather got lost in the Ault-ercation in the 'Index Management' thread, therefore, I offer:

www.dizwell.com -> FAQ -> Performance Tuning.

It *is* a bit of a rush-job, so I'm open to corrections and suggestions.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon May 10 2004 - 22:52:26 CDT