Re: Index management

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 10 May 2004 16:16:38 -0700

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_tbigpond.nospam.com> wrote in message news:<5Vtkc.5521$TT.227_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au>...
> "DiggidyMack69" <DiggidyMack69_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Are there supplied scripts, packages, or procedures that will find and
> > rebuild existing index's? What I am really looking for is a script to
> > be run to rebuild fragmented index's as needed.
>
> Go to the download section at www.actoug.org.au, make what you can of the
> PowerPoint presentation, wait for the accompanying whitepaper/book, read it
> carefully too and hopefully you'll get the picture.
>
> Cheers
>
> Richard

This one popped up in my email:

http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid41_gci960148,00.html?track=NL-94&ad=482086

For those who don't want to register there, it basically does an analyse index validate structure on all non-sys% indices, then builds a rebuild command if > 20% of the leafs are deleted.

Interested in people's opinions on it, rants about arbitrary percentages always appreciated.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  After performing for the British royal family,
the story goes, he was introduced to Queen Elizabeth. "How do you do,