Re: Logical standby database in Oracle9i

From: Prem K Mehrotra <premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 May 2004 16:06:35 -0700

Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net> wrote in message news:<joNnc.65698$Z15.25503_at_newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>...
> Ryan Gaffuri wrote:

> >>You mean, apart from the fact that logical standby has lots of bugs
> >>associated with it, and doesn't actually work very reliably?
> >>
> >>No, none at all.
> >>
> >>Regards
> >>HJR
> >

> > What bugs? Are there bugs in dataguard in general?
>
> DataGuard physical standby databases have been around for a long time
> and are pretty reliable.
>
> Logical standby is much newer and doesn't seem to be robust enough to
> use as a first choice for disaster recovery. For example, if you drop a
> user and then re-import on the primary, including lots of constraints,
> sequences, triggers, packages and procedures, in my tests the logical
> standby eventually stalled out to the point where it was easier to just
> re-create it than try to cajole the SQL apply to complete successfully.
>
> But logical standby might be just the thing for other uses besides
> disaster recovery. If you have ever implemented a physical standby so
> that you could open it read-only from time to time, then logical standby
> might better meet your needs.
>
> Be sure to get the white paper from Metalink "Oracle 9i Dataguard: SQL
> Apply Best Practices". I found several items there, not included in the
> main documentation, which resolved some bugs I was experiencing.
>
> --Mark Bole

Mark:

Thanks a lot, I was not aware of this metalink note. I want to use logical standby more for reporting than for disaster rceovery. I know it came only
in 9.2, but if people have used it for reporting without any major problems
I will like to use it.

Thanks,

Prem Received on Mon May 10 2004 - 18:06:35 CDT