Re: OraOLEDB and Inner Join

From: Lothar Armbruester <lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 21:16:32 +0200

Richard wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I work on a VB6 software using ADO to connect to Oracle 9.2i.
>
> When I create a recordset based on a query containing a "inner join"
> clause
> (sql server syntax, the software connects also to sql server and the
> "inner
> join" syntax must be preserved for a large fraction of the queries),
> AddNew
> and Update methods fail.

[...]
> Any solution ?
> Is it definitively impossible to update "inner join" recordsets ?

Hello Richard,
you can update some joins if they are "key preserved". That means the key for on table (the one you want to update) is also a key for the whole join.
I doubt that generic record sets that ADO returns will be updateable since Oracle only lets you update one table in the join so some fields are updateable and others are not.
For more details have a look at Oracle docs. Search for "key preserved" or "updateable join views".

Hope that helps,
Lothar

--
Lothar Armbrüster       | la_at_oktagramm.de
Hauptstr. 26            | la_at_heptagramm.de