Re: Trying to compare E450 to Intel Server

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 15:58:03 GMT

G Dahler wrote:

> "Andrew Hardy" <junkmail@[127.0.0.1]> a écrit dans le message de
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>We're using an E450:  'Sun Enterprise 450 (4 X UltraSPARC-II 296MHz)'
>>with 1Gb of RAM as a development platform.
>>

> We recently replaced a similar UE 450 2Gb RAM machine by a Sun 280R (1.2 Ghz
> single CPU, 5Gb RAM) and found the machine to perform as good (if not
> better) than the 450. Technology (eg. disks) as improved a lot since the
> 450, that gives a good boost in performance.
>
> I would not run anything else than solaris or Linux on the Intel Platform,
> otherwise, your CPU will be busy managing the GUI and useless stuff instead
> of your database. But other people may actually like windows for whatever
> reason (maybe they have MSFT stock :-)

If you go to a site like Dell or Red Hat, you should be able to find some white papers with Oracle performance test comparisons to Sun (and probably other competing vendors).

We have done several tests of both batch and transactional processing and found that a shiny new Intel/Linux box vastly out-performs the five-year-old Sun/Solaris hardware we use. Vendor support is a different and less positive story, however...

--Mark Bole Received on Mon May 10 2004 - 10:58:03 CDT