Re: Index management

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_tbigpond.nospam.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 14:05:57 GMT

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1084196249.627453_at_yasure...
> Noons wrote:
>
> > There is no such thing as a "sub-optimal manner" in the Oracle
> > b-tree implementation since at least release 8i.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Nuno Souto
> > wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam
>
> I am beginning to wonder how much of this thread is based upon
> information that may have been valid many releases ago but is
> no longer valid. Certainly some of the terminology used is not
> words that have been used to describe things in more than a decade.

Hi Daniel,

May I suggest none.

This thread is based *entirely* on someone's misunderstanding of how the CF works in Oracle and someone's misunderstanding that a way to improve the CF is to rebuild an index. If someone can just grasp the concept that the CF remains unchanged after an index rebuild, much of the confusion will disappear.

I'm doing my best to make this happen both with my presentation and with my contributions in this thread ...

Regards

Richard Received on Mon May 10 2004 - 09:05:57 CDT