Trying to compare E450 to Intel Server

From: Andrew Hardy <junkmail_at_[127.0.0.1>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 11:38:09 +0100

Hi,

We're using an E450: 'Sun Enterprise 450 (4 X UltraSPARC-II 296MHz)' with 1Gb of RAM as a development platform.

We have to buy new licences for Oracle database. As the current box has 4 CPUs we have to buy the Oracle Standard Edition with the equivalent of 100 user-licences. We have around a dozen real users...

So, we're evaluating the cost of dumping the current server and getting a new one (probably Intel) with only one or two processors so that we can buy the cheaper Oracle Standard One database.

Can anyone point me to information that would allow me to compare the E450 with modern Intel set-ups so that we can see whether this would appear to be a cost-effective move. I'd assume that we'd go for similar disc setups, etc.

Personally, I like our E450 as it has performed reliably for the 4 years that I've used it but our IT bod's are now Intel-centric so it's unlikely that we'd be able to buy a new Sun box... unless there's a good business case.

--
Andy - Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of
Advantica Ltd