Re: Index management

From: Anna C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 11:13:46 -0700

Mike Ault wrote:
[...snip...]
> However, I may have stated things unclearly, the goal in index
> rebuilding is not to reduce clustering factor, that is actually a
> desired by-product, the goal is to ensure that the index is properly
> aligned with the underlying table and that its entries are not sparse.
> Clustering factor ratios are just one of several indicators that can
> tell you an index needs to be investigated.

This sounds great, but please quantify.
Based upon what specific & quantifiable metrics can anyone conclude that any specific index is "properly aligned with the underlying table and that its entries are not sparse."

 >Clustering factor ratios are just one of several indicators

At what values does the clustering factor ratio turn from a goodness indicator to a badness indicator. What is YOUR formula for computing the clustering factor? Is a high clustering factor ratio a good or bad indicator? What are some of the other unspecified indicators and how are they calculated or obtained? Received on Sun May 09 2004 - 13:13:46 CDT