Re: Oracle Magazine Blooper

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.eye-be-em.com>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 13:24:46 -0400

See, whenever I see tehse constructs in migration I take the chain-saw to it:

INSERT INTO loop_test

   WITH loop(i) AS (VALUES 999 UNION ALL

                    SELECT i+1 FROM loop WHERE i < 1100)
   SELECT i FROM loop;
COMMIT; so much more efficient (and presumably looks equaly elegant with CONNECT BY...)
Just think about attached check constraints, triggers, RI, materialized view maintenance, ....

But as you say. An example makes a point. One shall not over interprete it as a coding guideline.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau