Re: Index management

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 17:20:02 +0800

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> Daniel Morgan wrote:

> >> Howard, are you sure of this? Relational theorists please correct me
> >> if I am
> >> wrong, but I thought the best we could say about the order of rows is
> >> that
> >> it is indeterminate, which means we can't even make statistical arguments
> >> based on assumed randomness.
> >

> > You are correct. The use of the word "random" is exactly what is the
> > problem with much of this thread: It is imprecise.
>
> No, the problem is intervention by people who don't know what the point
> of this thread is.
>
> Imprecision in the use of the word "random" is not the issue.
>
> The issue is "should I rebuild my indexes". And moving on from that,
> "how do I know if an index should be rebuilt". That is all. Everything
> else is just so much navel-gazing.
>
> Mike Ault claims he has a ratio which tells you when an index should be
> rebuilt. That ratio is built on one number we can't quite work out what
> he means. And another number, the clustering factor, which we all know
> presicely what it means.
>
> Either that ratio is a load of old nonsense, or it isn't. That's all you
> have to be precise about. True or false. Black or White. Right or Wrong.
>
> All Mike has to do is to show us how to calculate this ratio, and show
> us the ratio improving after an index rebuild (NOT an index redesign).
>
> That's all. It isn't rocket science. And it isn't very difficult. And
> it's not at all imprecise.
>
> > I know that both
> > Mike and Howard know that what you said is correct. And both undoubtedly
> > will respond with "that is what I meant."
>
> Bzzt. I replied, and reply, that I couldn't give a monkeys whether its
> random or indeterminate or painted bright blue and playing Knees Up
> Mother Brown on the harpsichord. It *doesn't* *actually* *matter*.
>
> > But it may well be that much
> > of this dispute is the fact the words are being thrown around without
> > the clarity that would be provided by the demos we are asking for.
>
> No, the dispute is: can you give me a ratio that tells me when to
> rebuild an index?
>
> Not when one of the components of that ratio is a number which is
> invariant when rebuilding, you can't, is my reply.
>
> It is a simple enough dispute.
>
> > Mike, for example, must be able to quickly and easily determine whether
> > a clustering factor is altered by a rebuild. The fact that he continues
> > to repeat his statement indicates to me that we likely have more
> > sloppinless of language than sloppiness of code. Problem is we have yet
> > to see that code.
>
> This I will grant you. If Mike keeps stating something when the simplest
> of test proves the contrary, he either is merely obtuse, or he is
> talking about something we mere mortals aren't.
>
> We have already seen this, in fact, when Mike subtley shifts the meaning
> of the words "rebuild an index" to actually encompass "drop index X...
> [...]
There IS a ratio...Its

effort to rebuild / benefit of rebuild < 1

Of course, you can't precisely define the benefit until you've done it..

:-)

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"